Water Science Poster Presenters & Winners
- Natalie Ladd, Hiawassee River Watershed Coalition: Collecting Sediment Samples during a Rainstorm.
- Cassidy Lord, University of Georgia and Upper Oconee Watershed Network: Oconee Confluence Clean Water Alliance (OCCWA): Forestland Protection in the Upper Oconee River Basin to Protect Drinking Water Sources.
- Blake Lindner, Georgia Institute of Technology, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering: Microplastic and microbial load along a rural-to-urban gradient within the Chattahoochee River.
- Camille Mosley, Emory University: Determining Aquatic Biodiversity and Stream Health of the Proctor Creek Watershed Using eDNA Technology and Citizen Science.
- Devin Filicicchia, Young Harris College and Hiawassee River Watershed Coalition: Interwoven Community: A Framework for Restoring an Ecological Fabric.
- Cody Beavers and Michael Cuprowski, Dalton State College: A two-year study monitoring macroinvertebrate assemblages and leaf litter breakdown rates to assess the impact of Dalton State College campus on College Creek.
- Hannah Walker, Caroline Cox, Young Harris College and Hiawassee River Watershed Coalition: The Southern Appalachian Snorkeling Trail: Preserving Water Quality in Appalachian Communities by Promoting Native Fishes.
- Renee George, Rockdale Magnet School for Science and Technology: Optimizing Water Filtration Using Biochar and Polymer Additives.
- Luke Morneault, Oconee county High School and Oconee Waters: Impact of Upgraded Wastewater Treatment Plant on Water Quality.
- Jose Ayala and Jorge Chavez, Rockdale Magnet School for Science and Technology: Effect of Environmental Conditions on Algal Biofuel Production.
- Gloria Bradley, Rockdale Magnet School for Science and Technology: The Effect of Mass of Trametes versicolor on Lead (II) Nitrate Concentration in Riverbank Soil.
- Annabelle Renner, Melinda Downey, Destini Chambers, Montgomery Blake, South Paulding High School: The Viability of Soil Near a Wetland for Vegetation.
- Hannah O’Driscoll and Jessie Turner, Villa Rica High School: Exploration of Wildcat Creek.
- Vicki Soutar, UOWN/oconeewaters Group ID: AAS-G-2206: When the $#*! hits the creek…increase your reach!
- Moira Salazar, Chattahoochee Riverkeeper: Evaluating Effectiveness of Strategic Stream Sampling for Contamination Source Identification
- Denzell Cross, University of Georgia (PhD): The Watershed Learning Network: A Path Towards Sustainability And Public Engagement In Urban Watersheds
- Morgan Teachey, University of Georgia (PhD - Microbiology); Upper Oconee Watershed Network: Pelagic bacterial community dynamics in a temperate, urban stream
- Diana Gambone, Georgia Southern University:Implementing a Green Infrastructure and Water Quality Project at Savannah Country Day School
- Michael Cuprowski and Cody Beavers, Dalton State College: Quantifying the effects of the Dalton State College campus on leaf litter breakdown rates and the macroinvertebrate community of College Creek
- Seth George and Mackenzie Devine, Piedmont College: Can Citizen Science be used to Develop a Predictive Model for Water Quality?
- Hannah O’Driscoll & Jessie Turner, Villa Rica High School: Bacteria Spike in Wildcat Creek
- Jessica Warren, UGA Extension -- Camden County: Water Quality Education and Outreach Improves Coastal Communities
- Luke Morneault, oconeewaters Group ID: AAS-G-2206: Water Quality Analysis of Three Oconee County Creeks
- Sohyun Cho, University of Georgia, Microbiology: Phenotypic and Genotypic Characterization of Salmonella, Escherichia coli, and Enterococcus Isolated from the Upper Oconee Watershed, GA
- Adiba Khan, Department of Chemistry and Physics, Oglethorpe University: Nanoparticles Matrix on the Removal of Heavy Metals from Surface Water
- Ashley Deal, Aubrie Goodson, Candace Moon, Georgia Southern University Freshwater Ecology Lab, AAS-G-2114: Education, Outreach, and Monitoring at Beautiful Eagle Creek in the campus of Georgia Southern University
- Whitney Hudson, Georgia Gwinnett College: Analysis of heavy metal concentrations in the Conasauga, Oostanaula, and Coosa Rivers utilizing a PerkinElmer NexION 350D ICP-MS
- Sanjay Patel, Shayna Markel, Georgia College and State University: Monitoring the Water Quality of the Oconee River Greenway
- Zamara Ruby Garcia Truitt, Brennan Poon-Kwong, Georgia College and State University: Assessment of the impact of fecal pollution on streams of Puerto Rico
- Rachel McNeil, Maeva Makendi, Taylor Cook, Paulding County High School: Biodiversity Analysis with Environmental DNA
- Kylah Brabson, Eagle’s Landing Christian Academy/AAS group ID: AAS-G-2205: Effects of Grey Water on Plants
- First Place: Lara Gardner, Anderson University: A Comparison of Two Aquatic Invertebrate Collection Methods in the Rocky River Water System.
- Second Place: Russell Maddrey, Berry College: Establishing Baseline Water Quality Data Sets for Headwater Areas of the Coosa River Basin, Rome, GA.
- First Place: Krystl Wood, Woodstock High School: Use of Carbon Nanoparticles for Aqueous Heavy Metal Remediation Yr2.
- Second Place: Ramie Williams, Eagles Landing Christian Academy: Are There Dangerous Levels of Lead in Local Soil?
- First Place: Mary Freund, College of Coastal Georgia: Water Quality and Plankton Communities of the Blackwater Satilla River.
- Second Place: Susan Scrivner, Reinhardt University: Investigation of Bisphenol A contamination in Sharp Mountain Creek from a construction waste disposal site.