Professional Learning Unit (PLU) Information
Teachers may apply for one PLU for 10 hours of training. Trainers should submit the credit to the State Adopt-A-Stream office when all of the contact hours are complete. Information for Trainers
Prior Approval Form and Syllabus for Teachers
PLU (Professional Learning Unit) Completion Form for Teachers Course Description:
The Georgia Adopt-A-Stream training is designed to enable teachers to successfully lead their students in field studies relating to their local watersheds. Focus areas include watershed delineation, chemical stream monitoring, and biological stream monitoring. Goals to be addressed by Participants:
- Teachers will have an increased awareness of the states nonpoint source pollution and water quality issues;
- Teachers will have the tools and training to evaluate and protect their local waterways;
- Teachers will develop partnerships between schools, businesses, and local governments;
- Teachers will collect quality baseline water quality data.
Improvement Practices to be implemented by Participants:
- Engage students in water quality monitoring activities
- Utilize water quality monitoring as a way to address state curriculum standards
Competencies to be developed with associated performance indicators identified
An understanding how to:
- Use maps to identify a watershed.
- Conduct a watershed walk in a segment of that watershed and interpret the results, using Georgia Adopt-A-Stream forms.
- Identify a watershed protection activity suitable for the location and age of students involved.
- Compile a list of local watershed protection and problem solving resources.
- Demonstrate appropriate sampling and identification techniques for biological monitoring, as specified by the Georgia Adopt-A-Stream (AAS) program.
- Use appropriate sampling, interpretation and safety procedures for chemical monitoring as specified by the AAS program.
Performance Indicators for Competencies:
- Attendance at 10 hours of workshop on all 3 topics: Getting to Know Your Watershed, Chemical Monitoring, and Biological Monitoring.
- Satisfactory demonstration of the five competencies listed above.